Frankie’s Legacy: How He’s Touched Our Lives

>>>

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Deb Huisken, Tucson, Montague and London

Ah, Frankie. You've had such a powerful impact on so many people's lives - the above is just a tiny sampling. And all just by being who you are and doing what you love. That's what struck me about you the first time I ever saw you, tho I didn't understand it at the time. How unassuming you were, yet how gentle with one of newbie dancers (me!) that you selected from the crowded dance class and brought up to demonstrate a step with. You showed the class what you wanted them to learn, then took a minute to reconnect with me, who you didn't know/had never met, to make sure I was ok, before sending me back into the class. A powerful lesson for one who's shy in front of crowds and therefore apt to do something awkward - you showed me with that simple moment the value and importance of taking care of the person right next to you as well as the big group surrounding you, and how little time it takes to do it.

I've gotten to know you better over the years since (that was in 1989), had the pleasure of spending a few extended bits of time with you driving you here or there on your travels, or dancing in New York when you were home for a brief window, and I always knew that I got the best job, being your chauffeur, because it meant I got to spend that bit of time getting to know you a bit better.

You know how it is as we start to get older - our bodies change, they don't do what they used to be able to do so easily nor so well, or so we think. And it's tempting to slow down, take it easy, leave it to others to do. Whenever I've been tempted to do that, I've thought of you, and when I've heard others around me talk of giving up, I've told them about you, about my friend Frankie who travels the world in his 80s and 90s, teaching a dance he'd given up for many years, because kids found him and pulled him out of his dance retirement and said "we want you to show us what you know". And how generously you've shared that, with so many young people! In Phoenix this past February (2009) I don't know of you heard the current World Lindy Hop Champion, Max from France, comment how much of an impact you've had on his life, what an inspiration you've been. He's in his 20s.

The world - my world - is a much better place for you having been in it, Frankie. Wherever and whenever this next piece of your journey takes you, go well, knowing that you have shared and created a lot of love around you, and opened more than a few minds, lightened more than a few burdened hearts, and lit far more than a few smiles.

I'm including my favorite picture of all time, taken in Oslo, Norway at the First World Lindy Hop Championships. I didn't compete - would never consider myself good enough to. And I remember feeling a bit out of sorts that night, a bit on the sidelines when I wanted to be center stage but didn't know how. Then you asked me to dance, during a quiet moment in the proceedings. And damned if you didn't make me feel like the most special person in the room. You were all the audience I needed, because you so effortlessly gave appreciation in full measure. Such a gift you have, and you've always given it so freely.




The second photo is of you and Mickey Davidson and one of her troupe in New York at the Savoy Anniversary in 2006 - that's you, laughing and welcoming people, always making the circle of love ever wider...

with love and a more open heart for having known you,

Deb Huisken
Tucson, Montague, and London

2 comments:

  1. Steve Aupperle, Rockford, ILApril 25, 2009 at 10:50 PM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb, and thank you for helping to bring Frankie around and share these stories. Alison

    ReplyDelete