Frankie’s Legacy: How He’s Touched Our Lives

>>>

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Rich Michelson, Northampton, MA

When I began writing my children’s book Happy Feet, (Harcourt, 2005) about the Savoy Ballroom, I needed to choose a hero for the child in my story (nicknamed “Happy Feet” because he was born on March 12, 1926, on the same day that the Savoy opened).

I don’t dance, and I was not a part of the Lindy Hop movement, but I was drawn to pictures I’d seen of Frankie Manning, and I somehow guessed that he would be the sort of man a kid would and should look up to. Still, I had no idea what a perfect choice I had stumbled upon. I was drawn to the subject of the Savoy, because many of my books are concerned with racial issues, and I was drawn to a place where, as Happy Feet’s daddy tells him, “Ain’t nobody better than nobody! Salt and pepper- -equals! Cats and chicks—equal! Everybody just coming to dance.”

Artist E. B. Lewis painted the pictures for the book, and came to the reception to meet Frankie.

When Frankie agreed to meet me at a diner in Brooklyn, I was amazed at his love of life, and animated spirit. I invited him to be a guest of honor at the book publication party, and he “stole the show.” We have never had such a fun, exciting opening reception. He turned the somewhat staid R. Michelson Galleries into a dance hall and had everyone on the floor in no time.


I’d booked Frankie a hotel room in Northampton MA, and when I and my staff were tired and ready to go to sleep Frankie was just getting started. He ended up driving the 3 hours back to Brooklyn. His night was still young!

One of the happiest days of my life was when the National Museum of Dance in Saratoga Springs asked me to introduce Frankie on the day he was inducted into the Hall of Fame. I have written many books, but none led me so unexpectedly into a world I had thought I was only to imagining. Like my main character, I continue to look up to and love Frankie Musclehead manning.


Rich Michelson
Northampton, MA

No comments:

Post a Comment