Frankie’s Legacy: How He’s Touched Our Lives

>>>

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Sing Lim, Singapore

I met Frankie a year or so after I started learning Lindy Hop with Ryan Francois in London. I never really had a chance to study with Frankie at that time but I was impressed by his amazing manner and kindness. When we organized the Swing Masters Jam, I got to know Frankie better, especially through his amazing stories! It was so hard to imagine this humble man was the creator of such important historical events.

Through the last 18 years, my friendship with Frankie has grown and I was so excited to introduce him to Singapore in 1998.

The thought of Frankie keeps me humble.

And as a dancer, Frankie still out-dances every one in the room. But beyond being such a great dancer, Frankie is a great human being. The ultimate gentleman, Frankie would insist not only that he carry his own bag, but mine too. It was a game we would play, how to maneuver it so that we could carry his bag without him knowing. He opens my door, pulls out my seat and gets pretty annoyed if I try to do so for him.


The picture is from 1992, taken at Jitterbugs in London.

Frankie inspired me to be a better dancer and now he inspires me to be a better person.

What an amazing guy.

Sing Lim
Singapore

1 comment:

  1. I've got a new CD of Paul Tillotson and his Trio. On the track "Satin Doll" Frankie is dancing and a lot of applause shows that he's doing it well.
    It's amazing feeling of his dancing.
    Frankie, keep up!

    ReplyDelete