Frankie’s Legacy: How He’s Touched Our Lives

>>>

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Susan B. Carr-Sparkman & "Suzie-Q Swing Productions" - CT

I remember the first time I met Frankie. I was a new dancer, and was with a friend in New Haven. Frankie was visiting for the day. It was not as memorable as the second time I saw him, nor our brief but memorable interactions over the next 12 years.

I remember being in Herräng during a class, and Frankie walked quietly into the back of the class. It was 1999 and it was my second year of serious dancing. Frankie wasn’t teaching; he was just coming in to watch and say hello. It was amazing; the feel of the entire room changed. He lit up the room, lit up every face in the room and the energy actually changed. All he had to do was walk in, nod hello and smile. You could feel his presence and his charisma.

At (I think) the very first Swingin’ New England, Frankie hadn't brought a follower. Recognizing me from Herräng, he put out his hand and said, “would you mind..." seeking assistnce. I was beyond thrilled.

Two years later, while running Suzie-Q Swing Productions, I wanted my students and members of the local community to experience “Frankie.” In 2001, Suzie-Q Swing Productions, along with the East Lyme High School Swing Club, brought Frankie to Connecticut for “Frankie Manning Weekend in Connecticut.” As the organizer, I was blessed to have spent time with him during the weekend. Working with him was undoubtedly one of the highlights of my dance career and members of the local community were taken in, as most are, with the experience of having him so close.

Frankie was charming, absolutely entertaining, and so full of life. Almost 300 people from 10 states between Washington, D.C. and Maine traveled to see Frankie. People who didn’t dance bought tickets just so sit on the side and watch “the King of Swing” at his best.

From that weekend, I have endless thoughts. Two things, however, come to mind, both of which impressed upon me what a kind, polite and gracious man Frankie is. During a lunch break, Frankie, my co-sponsor (a guy) and I went to my co-sponsor’s family home for lunch. When we got out of the car, the co-sponsor, no doubt nervous to have Frankie at his home, got out of the car and bolted upon the front steps. Frankie looked at him, looked at me, then extended his arm and graciously said, “After you, dear.” Here he was, 87 years old and still extending old fashioned courtesies. At one point, we were walking across a parking lot, when he put his hand on the small of my back and “led me” over a curb. It was true graciousness that I had not seen in a while and did not see regularly until I met my husband. He does the same thing.

Frankie, his passions, energies and overall good nature are the strongest and most beloved aspects of Lindy Hop. He will always be part of this dance; it's infused with his good nature, and he brings the best into it. It’s difficult to think of someone who has been in my regular thoughts, whether I’m dancing or not, is undergoing a difficult time. All the best, Frankie, we love you and are thinking good thoughts.

Love, Susan B. Carr-Sparkman – Connecticut

No comments:

Post a Comment